March 24, 2009

unexchangeable

I am an advocate of public libraries and thus do not purchase many books. However, they always seem to accumulate through gifts and last second airport terminal purchases. Every few years I notice the clutter on our bookshelf and start to gather books to be redeemed at a used book store. Although I'd like to live a totally simplified life with as few possessions as possible, there are a few books which I cannot bring myself to exchange. Here they are in no particular order:

The Phantom Tollbooth

Norton Juster, © 1961

fantasy, children's fiction; 260 pages

I didn't discover this children's classic until college when it was given to me by a friend, Thanks Goldbogen! The author has an imaginative perspective and loves word play. You will still enjoy this book as an adult.

consider it

The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom
Slavomir Rawicz, © 1956

non-fiction, survival; 240 pages

This autobiographical account describes a prisoners escape from a Siberian Soviet labor camp and his trek to freedom through China, the Gobi Desert, Tibet, and over the Himalayas to British India. This book was recommended to Cara while she was hitchhiking in Banff, Alberta. An unbelievable story!

read it

Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Dr. Seuss, © 1990

children's poetry

It will inspire you to do great things!

read it

Travels with Charley: In Search of America
John Steinbeck, © 1962

non-fiction, 280 pages

I was hooked after the first paragraph, but I do love a road trip story. Follow the link to read the first paragraph.

consider it

Harry Potter Series
J.K. Rowling, © 1997 - 2007

fantasy, young-adult fiction

I ignored these books during the early crazy hype, but relented when the praise did not stop. After the first one, I too was hooked and eagerly anticipated the releases of the final books. Give the first one a try and see if you can stop. The books are not nearly as cheesy as the movies.

consider it

3 comments:

  1. These are fabulous choices. I've never read the Steinbeck book, though I'm pretty convinced it'll be worth checking out from the first few pages you've linked to. Outside of "The Pearl," I've enjoyed all of his writings.

    Ah, the Phantom Tollbooth. I think I first read it in 3rd or 4th grade, though I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate it. It's a shame I haven't read it in years. Now I have to go find a copy and try it again. Thanks for bringing this novel up.

    I just finished reading "The Diamond Age" by neal stephenson. For any scifi fans out there, I think it'd be a decent choice, though I think "Cryptonomicon" is probably Stephenson at his best. Note that this assumes you want some reasonable pseudo-science in your scifi (if you like scifi...). "Snow Crash" is among the canonical cyberpunk novels, but I found it too full of uber-nerds doing absurdly incredible things for my palate. "Cryptonomicon" is neat because it talks about the history of cryptography and gives concrete examples of how cipher technology has evolved over time.

    Agreed on the library, though I need to make a habit of using it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going nowheres: 50th anniversary Hobbit with foldout map, Old school Alice in Wonderland and through the looking glass, Old school Neverending story. Too many memories from a childhood spent fingering their hard spines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 'Hobbit' on my night stand to read in the near future. I've had that on a 'to read' list for awhile, definitely more motivation to pick it up now.

    ReplyDelete