May 21, 2009

tragic

The Last Lecture
Randy Pausch


I received this book as a present from my maternal grandparents this past Christmas. Before receiving the book, I had no knowledge of the internet sensation that had sprung up around the video of Mr. Pausch, a CS professor dying of pancreatic cancer.

This particular book is largely based around that "Last Lecture." It is an instruction manual of sorts on how to achieve dreams. As such, it is rife with advice and adages.

For some reason I was never able to truly lose myself in the book. There was a disconnect somewhere. This was especially disheartening because I felt guilty for not being able to find that connection. Unless you have children or cancer has deeply affected your life,

Skip it.

2 comments:

  1. Derek21.5.09

    This book sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book after it was given to me as a gift. It was one of those thoughtful gifts you get just after you've had a major traumatic life event... And in light of the recent trauma which I had gone through, I guess, I was affected by the book.

    The plight of the author is apparent from the first page so it's not a bio about a slow death, but rather, a book about life and how to live it. In that light, I really didn't see eye to eye with all of his approaches - seemed a bit too orderly and 'logic'-like (he was afterall a huge compter nerd). But for anybody needing some inspiration in life or having gone through a painful experience, this can be a good one.

    ReplyDelete