April 29, 2009

timeless

The Hobbit: or There and Back Again
J.R.R. Tolkien, © 1937
fantasy; 290 pages

I know this isn't contemporary, but it has been on my 'to read list' for years. I borrowed an old copy from KG, which added to the experience of this great story. The Hobbit follows the adventure of Bilbo Baggins and an expedition of dwarves to reclaim their treasure guarded by the dragon Smaug. I was pleasantly surprised by the light-hearted tone Tolkien uses for this story.

My only prior exposure to his work are the Lord of The Rings movies. Although I'm glad I finally read this great story, I'm not sure I'm going to dive right into the trilogy. Not quite ready for the time commitment...yet.

read it



1 comment:

  1. ive got some maps for you should that day ever come

    ReplyDelete